Chicago, Illinois, April 9, 2012 – The watchdog group, Illinois Citizens for Ethics Reform, has done a little digging on the Illinois State Board of Elections website and has uncovered information about how some “conservative” tax-exempt organizations like the Illinois Policy Institute operate. The organization has published a flowchart to explain the “charity’s” web of self-serving political action committees.
Anyone concerned about ethics and campaign finance reform should be questioning Illinois Policy Institute today and asking its Board Members John Tillman, Dan Proft, Patrick Hughes, and Andy McKenna whether they are intentionally engaging in deceitful activities to circumvent their 501c3 tax-exempt status and serve their own political ambitions.
Here are some of the ethical questions being raised by Illinois Citizens for Ethics Reform:
– Why is Illinois Opportunity Project, a 501c4, organization operating out of Illinois Policy Institute? What is its relationship to Illinois Policy Institute?
– Does Illinois Opportunity Project share office space, equipment, and personnel with Illinois Policy Institute?
– Who is funding Illinois Opportunity Project? The same donors that fund Illinois Policy Institute?
– Why is Empowering Children PAC listed at addresses used by Illinois Policy Institute?
– Why is Dan Proft’s Liberty PAC listed at addresses used by Illinois Policy Institute?
– Why did John Tillman set up Fiscal Accountability PAC and why is it listed at the address for Liberty PAC’s accountant?
– Why did Illinois Opportunity Project give $10,000 on March 12, 2012 to Dan Proft for Governor and who made that decision? Why did Illinois Opportunity Project give $20,000 to Dan Proft’s Liberty PAC a week before the primary election in March 2012?
– Are the same four donors that are funding the three PACs also funding Illinois Policy Institute and Illinois Opportunity Project?
– Why did the Tillman-controlled PACs give contributions to political candidates on the same day?
– Through these activities and others, isn’t Illinois Policy Institute engaging in the same unethical political practices that it accuses Democrats like Michael Madigan of engaging in?
(From Illinois Citizens for Ethics Reform)
Read the full release at Illinois Citizens for Ethics Reform: